Digital Library Technician – Mdantsane Studio - 1 year contract post
The South African Library for the Blind is a Schedule 3A Public Entity under the National Department of Sports, Arts and Culture and is governed by the provisions of the South African Library for the Blind Act, 91 of 1998
1 year Contact Post (Re-advertisement)
Resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic a vast number of jobs were shed in the economy due to the impact of lockdown restrictions. In support of Government’s concerted efforts to alleviate the current unemployment rate, particularly in relation to persons with disabilities, youth and woman, the Provincial Department of Sports, Arts and Culture in the Eastern Cape provided funding to the SA Library for the Blind (SALB) for employment of visually impaired persons, albeit for the short term.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified SA citizens for the undermentioned position(s) to commence on 1 November 2021 or earlier.
- Digital Library Technician – Mdantsane Studio (1 year contract post)
A lower Diploma in Librarianship; Intermediate level Computer experience and/or qualification (MS Office suite, email, and internet); Strong technical ability and understanding of the basic computer programs, sound-, and audio equipment and willing to undergo training to ensure that new digital production methods are implemented in the studio. A good ear to do quality control, focus is on producing high quality work at all times; Fluency in more than one language spoken in the Eastern Cape; Good interpersonal and communication skills to establish and maintain good relations with co-workers, visitors and narrators; A person with very good planning and organizing skills, to effectively manage and control the workload and on time delivery; Open, willing, and able to learn new audio and computer-based systems and technologies; Valid and or unendorsed code B or higher category Driver’s License.
The main purpose of this position is to render a support service to the Audio Production section at the SALB, by attending to matters relating to the:
- Implementation and control of all digital recorded and edited audio materials at the Mdantsane Mini Library.
- Checking of the work done by Narrators (Structuring; recording and editing).
- Sending completed audio material to the Audio Production section in Makhanda.
- Keeping of individual statistics of work done and planning of schedules.
- Training and assistance of narrators.
- Issuing and keeping records of books issued and schedules.
- Giving of assistance to meet the required targets.
R7 085.00 per month (Total cost to employer)
Candidates who meet the minimum requirements that would like to apply for the position should email a letter of application together with their curriculum vitae (with 3 contactable referees) including copies of educational certificates to: [email protected]
Telephonic enquiries may be directed to Glynis Bentley @ 043 735 1773
Closing date for applications: 17 September 2021
- Persons who have applied during the first advertisement need not re-submit as your applications will be forwarded to the recruitment agent.
- Persons with disabilities, youth and female candidates are particularly targeted through this recruitment drive.
- No relocation benefits are available to candidates, given the level and short term of the contracts.
- Short-listed candidates may be required to undergo competency testing.
- SALB reserves the right not to appoint any person or fewer persons than indicated in the advert.
- Original certificates and/or testimonials should be made available on appointment.